Tuesday, June 28, 2011

I'm not sure where it got started, but I have been wanting to get an authentic Philly Cheese Steak for awhile now.I had a little giggle when I searched my blog and found that I have even mentioned it more than once before here and here. This weekend Brandon and I went on a little get away, and on our way we stopped in, non other than, South Philly.

There was a stretch before we got rid of cable (but now have it back, since it ended up being cheaper than without it, go figure cable company- but I still hardly ever ever watch TV these days)  that I used to watch The Food Network all the time. There was an episode of something or another where they showed these two dueling Philly Cheese Stake spots that are directly across the street from one another and compete for business all 24 hours of the day. I was super intrigued because they sold food that I have been coveting for such awhile.

On a side note, I realize that I'm totally weird that I am this interested in a bun filled with meat, cheese, and oiniony goodness. Glad we clarified that, moving on.

So when we took a trip to Atlantic City, New Jersey this weekend we stopped in Philadelphia for some cheese stakes. We bought one from Geno's:




And one from Pat's, cut them in half, a half from each stand for each of us, and compared the two. I honestly was a little concerned that the other place wasn't going to let us bring the other sandwich onto their property haha but I think they don't take the competition as seriously as the food network made it out to be.


Here is my hub in all his taste testing glory.



Doesn't it just make your mouth water looking at it. And the smell, oh my goodness, I wish I could convey the smell to you.


Honestly I thought the two looked the exact same and tasted almost identical, but if I was forced to choose one or the other I would have to say Geno's, the flashier, brightly orange stand would have to win the toss up because it was juicier. I would a cheese stake from either place all day long though, just sayin'.



So next time you're in Philly stop on this street corner and enjoy some realllly delicious Philly Cheese Stakes from Pat's or Geno's because they are both cheese melty, perfectly cooked oiniony, seasoned steak goodness.

1 comment:

  1. That sandwich looks to die for! oh man!! now I want one!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails